By Richard Cameron
Donald Trump has (as could be easily predicted),
succumbed to the worst facets of his lack of impulse control and used cooked intel to “wag the dog” in Syria, ordering the launch of $100 million worth of cruise missiles. Some I have heard, pass this off as a “muscle flexing” exercise. To me, that translates as a foolish gesture that deceives no one but his most ardent (but diminishing) supporters.
Incidentally, Foreign Policy magazine – a respected journal, not some fly-blown clickbait “alternate facts” site, is reporting that within hours of the strike on the airfield, Syrian Air Force Sukhoi SU-22 jets are flying sorties from that airport we hit with 58 missiles!
Syrian fighter aircraft used the just-struck al-Shayrat airfield on Friday to launch attacks against regime opponents, less than 24 hours after the United States tossed dozens of missiles at the base with the hopes of sending a “message” to the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad about its use of chemical weapons.
I had heard of some members of the U.S. military and intelligence insiders, speaking off the record, that have concluded, based on information they’ve examined, that the event was a false flag staged by the laughably named “moderate rebels” to derail the peace negotiations in Geneva.
They also ask us to consider what possible motive Assad could have at this point when he is consolidating control of the country, to execute such a bizarre act, which would be completely against his interests. The terrorists in control of Khan Shaykhun – had and have, opportunity, means and motive. And as far as the sorties the Syrian AF has been flying – one could use intelligence based on any takeoff, flyover and return, to conclude that there is a tie in to an atrocity within one of the provinces.
We executed airstrikes in Mosul in a neighborhood that had NO Islamic State presence – just civilians and 200 non-combatants were killed. Babies and small children were among the victims. And this was just a ripple in a pond. We’re not making anything better over there, unless you think dropping cluster bombs on schools and hospitals in Yemen is an improvement.
One of the reports that I have discovered, is most revealing and it is this from retired D.I.A. (Defense Intelligence Agency) analyst, Colonel Patrick Lang:
“Donald Trump’s decision to launch cruise missile strikes on a Syrian Air Force Base was based on a lie. In the coming days the American people will learn that the Intelligence Community knew that Syria did not drop a military chemical weapon on innocent civilians in Idlib. Here is what happened.
- The Russians briefed the United States on the proposed target. This is a process that started more than two months ago. There is a dedicated phone line that is being used to coordinate and deconflict (i.e., prevent US and Russian air assets from shooting at each other) the upcoming operation.
- The United States was fully briefed on the fact that there was a target in Idlib that the Russians believes was a weapons/explosives depot for Islamic rebels.
- The Syrian Air Force hit the target with conventional weapons. All involved expected to see a massive secondary explosion. That did not happen. Instead, smoke, chemical smoke, began billowing from the site. It turns out that the Islamic rebels used that site to store chemicals, not sarin, that were deadly. The chemicals included organic phosphates and chlorine and they followed the wind and killed civilians.
- There was a strong wind blowing that day and the cloud was driven to a nearby village and caused casualties.
- We know it was not sarin. How? Very simple. The so-called “first responders” handled the victims without gloves. If this had been sarin they would have died. Sarin on the skin will kill you. How do I know? I went through “Live Agent” training at Fort McClellan in Alabama.
There are members of the U.S. military who were aware this strike would occur and it was recorded. There is a film record. At least the Defense Intelligence Agency knows that this was not a chemical weapon attack. In fact, Syrian military chemical weapons were destroyed with the help of Russia.
This is Gulf of Tonkin 2. How ironic. Donald Trump correctly castigated George W. Bush for launching an unprovoked, unjustified attack on Iraq in 2003. Now we have President Donald Trump doing the same damn thing. Worse in fact. Because the intelligence community had information showing that there was no chemical weapon launched by the Syrian Air Force.
Here’s the good news. The Russians and Syrians were informed, or at least were aware, that the attack was coming. They were able to remove a large number of their assets. The base the United States hit was something of a backwater. Donald Trump gets to pretend that he is a tough guy. He is not. He is a fool.
This attack was violation of international law. Donald Trump authorized an unjustified attack on a sovereign country. What is even more disturbing is that people like Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, CIA Director Mike Pompeo and NSA Director General McMaster went along with this charade. Front line troops know the truth. These facts will eventually come out. Donald Trump will most likely not finish his term as President. He will be impeached, I believe, once Congress is presented with irrefutable proof that he ignored and rejected intelligence that did not support the myth that Syria attacked with chemical weapons.
It should also alarm American taxpayers that we launched $100 million dollars of missiles to blow up sand and camel shit. The Russians were aware that a strike was coming. I’m hoping that they and the Syrians withdrew their forces and aircraft from the base. Whatever hope I had that Donald Trump would be a new kind of President, that hope is extinguished. He is a child and a moron. He committed an act of war without justification. But the fault is not his alone. Those who sit atop the NSC, the DOD, the CIA, the Department of State should have resigned in protest. They did not. They are complicit in a war crime.”